MATCH REPORT – Reeds Weybridge RFC vs Cranbrook – 2nd Dec 2017


Reeds Weybridge go into the hat next Wednesday for the fourth-round draw with a six try to three win over their visitors. Cranbrook, currently third in Kent 1 made it very difficult for Reeds, especially in the first half keeping the ball close, driving Reeds back into a defensive mode denying them possession.

However Reeds were soon on the front foot and it was Joe Moriarty, Reeds big winger who collected the first try of the day after skipper Billy Maddock had made the breakthrough in the midfield.

The lead didn’t last for long, Cranbrook battered away at the Reeds line with a series of rucks and mauls and eventually Cranbrook’s ability to retain possession enabled them to score an unconverted try. Johnny Rogers, Reeds fly half banged over a penalty to extend the lead but it was Cranbrook who edged ahead with their second try of the day following another forward maul that rumbled over.

Cranbrook were encamped in Reeds territory for long periods and that enabled them to collect two penalties. It looked as if Reeds would be adrift by eight points at the change round, however, on the last play before the whistle there was some magical footwork from No 8 Alex Corner as he outwitted the defence from twenty metres out to touch down under the sticks, one point between the two sides at 17-18.

That late first half try for Reeds certainly lifted Reeds spirits as they started that second half with a try from George Corner their ubiquitous hooker who broke away from a loose maul and sidestepped the defence for a converted try. Moments later a flowing backs movement saw the ball with winger James Botterill and Cranbrook couldn’t lay a hand on him as he touched down under the posts.

Reeds were now in the box seat, a misdirected clearance kick from Cranbrook was fielded by Olly Savill the centre, he collected the ball well within his own half, nothing looked on, but he set off on a mazy run that took him deep into Cranbrook territory, he was checked just ten metres out but there to take the scoring pass was lock forward Tony Adams who crashed over for a seven pointer. Johnny Rogers the fly half who instigated so many of those Reeds attacks slotted another penalty and Reeds were almost out of sight.

Young Chris Stegmann collected Reeds sixth try of the afternoon after he brushed off a couple of tackles and sprinted in from midfield but it was Cranbrook who had the last word after a prolonged occupation of Reeds five metre line with a series of scrums and lineouts they crashed over by the flag for their third try of the day.

Man of the Match:
George Corner the Reeds hooker won the Man of the Match Award – he had an outstanding afternoon, particularly in the loose play and it was a vital contribution that helped Reeds secure the win.

George Corner Reeds Weybridge RFC Man of the Match 2 Dec 2017

George Corner Reeds Weybridge RFC Man of the Match 2 Dec 2017

George Spinks 07860 394687

More Match Reports and News