Reeds felled by Farnham Onslaught


This was a top of the table clash between two sides who had won their first three league games, most of them by fine margins but it was clear from those results that there wasn’t going to be much difference in players skill, and that the result would depend rather more on how the two sides managed the occasion. Reeds missing a number of their regular players faced a fairly stiff breeze in the first half, not ideal conditions for Reeds attacking style of play, but it was the Farnham forwards who drove play deep into Reeds territory, then fired out the ball to Tim Salmon, the hard running centre, a slight hesitation in the Reeds midfield defence and Salmon was over the line for a five pointer within the first 10 minutes. Up front, Reeds were in charge, with prop forward Kerran Beavis, he is such a destructive player in the tight and serious powerhouse in the loose situations as well, that front row work shunted the Farnham side around in the tight. However, there weren’t too many scrums to generate possession and it was Farnham who had the best of the territorial stats in overall terms.

But Reeds can attack from all over the park, and it was young Marcus Clark who collected the ball deep in his own half, nothing much looked on, but this young winger has some serious wheels and dancing feet as well, he sidestepped his way through 3 or 4 cover defenders and was in under the sticks for Reeds to nudge into a two-point lead at 5-7. Not for long thought as just on the break, Farnham were on the attack, quick hands enabled Tim Salmon to cross close by the flag, the conversion went wide, 12-7 at the change round.

Now Reeds had the wind at their backs and were winning their fair share of possession, but they couldn’t translate that into points against a resolute Farnham defence especially with the number of injuries they faced.

Pete Cole the young fly half banged over a long-range penalty to narrow the gap to 12-10 but Reeds ambitious attacks couldn’t unlock the strong Farnham midfield. The turning point came when Reeds were banging away at the Farnham line and the referee belated penalised Reeds for a late turnover.  After that it was all Farnham, through good structured play, they stretched their lead with another penalty. It was the third Farnham try of the day, mid-way through the second half, that put the home side ten points in front that rattled Reeds. One or two further refereeing decisions went against them along with a couple of yellow cards and their chances of a comeback looked slender. The huge partisan crowd watching the game, roared on their heroes, and Reeds were forced into defensive mode, but with two players in the bin, they conceded two late tries. Reeds Man of the Match was Lewis Jones the flanker, his work at the breakdown and in attack was inspirational in a fiercely competitive afternoon.

Reeds MOTM Lewis Jones

Match Day Squad: Lennon Day / Kerran Beavis / Harry Ring / Herbie Finn (capt) / Cameron Goodwin / Dieter Kerschbaumer / Lewis Jones / Michael Wasko / Alex Corner / Matt Connell / Peter Cole / Marcus Clark / Pete Davidge / Billy Maddock / Josh Foreman /J onny Rogers / Joe Moriarty

Reeds will be back on the training ground next week in preparation for their home game against Chichester. Kick-óff 3:00 pm.

GS 25/9/22