There was a huge build up of anticipation for this fixture with both sides unbeaten at the top of the table with the added flavour that the Police side had stuck forty five points on the other previously unbeaten side, Old Haileyburians the previous weekend.

On the one hand, you never quite know what sort of side the Police will field as they are subject to calls of duty, but what is for certain is the side that does show will be physically demanding.

And it was that aggression that disrupted Reeds usual fluid style, Reeds mounted a series of attacks up the hill and spent long periods in Police territory but the defence was rock solid with some shuddering tackles and Reeds just couldn’t break it down.

Indeed it was the Reeds defence that was found wanting when the visitors attacked deep in Reeds 22, Rory Byrne, a formidable lock forward hit the defence at pace, burst through a couple of tackles and he was in under the sticks. Although Reeds had most of the possession, whenever the Police had their hands on the ball they looked dangerous, quick hands stretched the Reeds defence out wide and there was just enough space for Brown, the Police winger to touch down by the flag.

Two tries on the board for the visitors with just one penalty from Reeds fly half Peter Davidge, Reeds knew they had a real battle on their hands but there is a positive resilience in the side these days particularly when the going gets tough and they fought their way upfield to within a few metres of the line, Reeds forwards don’t score too many tries, but they managed to squeeze over the line just before the interval, it came from Ben Lewis the veteran prop forward who barrelled his way over from short distance.

But now Reeds, one point adrift, had the slope in their favour in that second half and they knew how to play that advantage, chips deep into the 22 followed up by Reeds quick men caused all sorts of problems, a mid field mix up in the Police defence and the ball popped up in to the hands of fly half Davidge, and he outpaced the cover to touch down way out.

Moments later Reeds were on the attack again pinning the visitors down in a series of rucks and mauls that gave some space out wide for full back Johnny Rogers to come in to the line at pace for an unconverted try.

That was a nine point cushion but it didn’t last long, they lost two men in to ‘the bin’ in quick succession and during that time Reeds conceded a try out wide, with a three point difference it was anyone’s game. But Reeds fit young side began to overwhelm the Police front five in the tight scrums, the scrums went rocking backwards and big Alex Corner the flanker was off on a series of penetrating runs, he had an outstanding day in defence and attack, he was a crucial part of Reeds subsequent victory and collected the Man of the Match award.

It was that back row work which provided the possession for the final Reeds try, the ball was fired out wide and young Malcolm Harding so quick and elusive just managed to stay in field to touch down by the flag, Davidge slotted the conversion and with five minutes to go it was decisive. Just on the close, Reeds were awarded another penalty in front but the game had been decided by that time.

Reeds next league fixture is on December 10th, away to Old Haileyburian who have lost just the one game.

George Spinks
07860 394687

Comments are closed.
%d bloggers like this: