REIGATE vs REEDS WEYBRIDGE – Match Report 4th March ’17

Reeds put Reigate on the Rack

Historically, the Reeds Reigate fixture has always been a tough game with both sides competing ferociously for ‘’bragging rights’’ but more recently Reigate have struggled and are sat firmly at the bottom of Surrey 3. Not surprisingly, therefore the team, supporters, and coaching staff were confident going into the game especially with the reasonable weather conditions.

Reeds started at a canter re-securing the kick off and going through a number of phases before a knock on resulted in a scrum which, thanks to good work from the front 5, saw Reeds take against the head. A clever move off the back of the scrum saw the captain Billy Maddock run the ball back onto the blind side draw the man and pass to winger Chris Stegmann who barrelled over from short range. A good conversation from the reliable Peter Davidge followed – 7- 0 to Reeds after 4 minutes.

Reeds were quickly into their stride and following some expansive play, the ball was spun wide to wing Joe Moriarty who handed off 2 would be tacklers and popped the ball inside to prop Ben Lewis who was tackled just short of the line. Quick thinking from the ensuing ruck saw Reeds youthfully scrum half Matt Connell dart over from short range – 7 mins gone 12-0 Reeds.

Immediately following the ensuing kick-off the ball was gathered by Davin Samuel, the mobile Reeds prop who spotted a gap in the Reigate defensive cordon. Clever running lines from Kerran Beavis ensured continuity with Billy Maddock being the beneficiary of a nice offload that saw him score near the posts. 11 minutes gone 19-0 to Reeds.

At this stage it looked like Reeds were in complete control however Reigate responded with 10 minutes of close quarter driving play in the Reeds half aided by Reeds conceding a series of penalties for ruck infringements. Simon Fozard the rangy Reeds lock was prominent in the defensive effort with 3 crucial line out steals. Gradually Reeds weathered the storm and a good defensive press from Reeds saw centre Ollie Savill intelligently kick the ball ahead from a loose Reigate pass which was collected and offloaded smartly to Reeds full back Jonny Rogers who was tackled around the Reigate 22 meter line. From the ensuing ruck the ball was spun out and Peter Davidge the Reeds centre unselfishly offloaded to Reeds wing Chris Stegmann to benefit with a simple run in. 25 minutes gone 26-0 Reeds.

Reeds were now pressing hard at every opportunity – another flowing move had its origins in a great take from the ensuing kick-off by veteran prop Ben Lewis and neat pass which allowed Tony Adams charge up field towards the Reigate line only to be tackled short of the line. Billy Maddock benefited from the simplest of scoring opportunities with a pick up and dot down under the posts. 29 Minutes gone 33-0 Reeds. Soon, a 10 meter line out with good ball off the top saw centre Savill break through a mid-field gap and pass to Beavis who ran in from 35 meters having handed off the flailing tackle of the Reigate full back to make it 40 – 0 to Reeds.

Strong Reeds interplay between forwards and backs was a hall mark of the first half with Ben Lewis, Adam Smith, Tony Adams, and Sam Young heavily involved in a flowing move that resulted in a scrum to Reeds on the Reigate 22 meter line. The back line then demonstrated their credentials with inter-play between Davidge, Rogers, and Savill allowing Stegmann to score yet again. 45-0 to Reeds with the attempted conversion cannoning off the post.

With half time looming another great backs move from a good scrum saw Stegmann come off his left wing to join the line in a curving run that took him through the Reigate back line and off load to Reeds other winger Moriarty who with his trade mark strong running and hand off smuggled an inside pass to Rogers to score in the corner. A great conversion from Davidge sealed the end of the first half – 52-0 to Reeds.

At half time the coaches and senior players talked about the need to continue to do the basics well, avoid stupid penalties at the break-down, maintain tempo, and put width on the ball.

The second half started well for Reeds with new winger Dan Connell seeing plenty of the ball and testing the Reigate defence. Eventually, Davidge picked up a spilt Reigate ball and went on a searing, arching run that saw him dot down under the posts. 59-0 Reeds. Reeds had the bit between their teeth now but an unfortunate injury to a Reigate player meant the game was stopped for 15 minutes and eventually moved to another pitch. Reeds continued to press Reigate strongly and with space appearing Toby Blyther the Reeds hooker went on an extended charge from the half way line only to be caught 5 meters from the Reigate line. Quick thinking from the breakdown saw Rogers, now playing at 10, make a short range pass to Moriarty who cut a neat line to score under the posts. 66-0 Reeds.

Reeds continued to press at every opportunity and a great penalty kick to the corner by Rogers saw the forwards drive over the line from 10 meters out and an attacking 5m scrum awarded to Reeds. Following a close quarter series of drives, Ben Lewis received the ball in space close to the line to dart through the cover and crash over the line to make it 71-0 to Reeds. Shortly, more indiscipline from Reigate allowed Rogers to again kick to the Reigate 22 with Malcolm Harding, freshly off the bench, skipping through a series of would be tacklers to make it 76-0.

At this point, a 100+ score looked on the cards but Reigate rallied well and went on the offensive aided by a penalty and malfunctioning Reeds line out which eventually saw a long series of Reigate rucks and drives from 5 meters out repelled by some great Reeds defence. Reigate though had their tails up and got their reward with a dot down off the back of a dominant series of scrums with Reeds lighter pack getting nudged backwards in the muddy conditions. 76-7 to Reeds.

Reeds were determined to have the last say and perhaps the best score of the day came when the ball was cleverly fielded from the kick off and went through around 10 pairs of hands, both forwards and backs being involved, with winger Chris Stegmann finally offloading to allow Harding to score under the posts. Kick off to score less than 60 seconds and a great way to finish the game.

Final score Reigate 7 – Reeds 83.

Man of the Match: Ollie Savill for his all-round intelligent play, and ability to open up the game with some insightful passing and decision making.

Honourable mentions: The entire back row of Simon Fozard, Kerran Beavis, and Sam Young for their hard work and industry especially at the break-down, Ben Lewis for a mix of gritty performance, fielding of kick offs and delightful touches / passes, Adam Smith and Tony Adams for some strong close quarter tackling all of which created the right platform for the rest of the side to capitalise upon.
Next up Old Ruts in what promises to be a critical game in the run is to the end of the season.
Reeds side: 1. Davin Samuel, 2. Toby Blyther, 3. Ben Lewis, 4. Tony Adams, 5. Adam Smith, 6. Sam Young, 7. Kerran Beavis, 8. Simon Fozard, 9. Matt Connell, 10. Pete Davidge, 11. Joe Moriarty, 12. Billy Maddock, 13. Ollie Savill, 14. Chris Stegmann, 15. Jonny Rogers. Subs: Alex Keefe, Malcolm Harding, & Dan Connell.

Mark Sukiennik

Comments are closed.
%d bloggers like this: