SURREY LEAGUE THREE – Reeds score 13 tries!


A thirteen to one try count, is by any standards, decisive, however, that didn’t look a likely outcome during the first twenty minutes or so. Reeds, coming up the Guildford slope were certainly on the attack but they were up against a stern defence led by Guildfordian skipper Matt Eames that shut down several promising attacks.

But the home side were not seeing too much of the ball leaving them in defensive mode for most of that first quarter and with Reeds skipper Bill Maddock and Joe Moriarty the centre pairing on defence busting runs in the midfield something had to give and it was Joe Moriarty who made the breakthrough bouncing off a couple of defenders to touch down under the sticks.

The tight scrums were evenly matched until the latter stages when Reeds fitness began to tell, in the lineouts Reeds were in charge with hooker Toby Blyther right on the button with his throws finding lock forward Fozzard every time. Midway through that first half Reeds were awarded a penalty deep in Guildfordian territory, it was kickable but Reeds nudged the ball into touch for the five metre lineout. The Guildfordian defence prepared for the inevitable Reeds catch and drive for the line, it didn’t happen, instead of catching the ball, Fozzard tapped the ball down to young Matt Connell, the scrum half and he set off on a slanting run, try line bound.

Two tries to the good and with bucket loads of possession Reeds began to fire the ball around the park, none better at that than Peter Davidge, Reeds fly half who orchestrated affairs unleashing all sorts of problems for the Guildfordian defence. Out wide another of Reeds youngsters, Malcolm Harding with his dazzling feet and scorching pace were just too much for the defence, he scored the third try and finished the day with four.

At the change round, Reeds were five tries to one in front,
having let in one soft try from a lineout when Guildfordian prop Dan Collins barrelled his way over from short range But now Reeds had the hill in their favour, it turned out to be a torrid second half for Guildfordians, they were under the cosh from the restart, their clearances all too frequently ended up with Reeds full back Chris Stegmann running the possession back initiating more pressure on the defence.

Olly Savill in the backs was causing serious trouble, he really takes some stopping, his penetrating runs and ability to provide second phase possession prised open the defence. With Reeds in charge of most phases, there was a temptation to default to a sevens style of rugby, but that didn’t happen, Reeds went through the phases and it enabled them to collect another eight tries.

Savill scored a hat trick and Tony Adams the big second row came on for a cameo performance scoring a try on his debut. Referee Anthony Fernihough from the Sutton and Epsom club in his first full season with the whistle had a good afternoon, calm and consistent throughout.

Next week Reeds have an afternoon of Cup rugby, away to New Milton the Hampshire League one side

Other results

George Spinks
07860 394687

Comments are closed.
%d bloggers like this: