Reeds Taste Derby Delight


Reeds Weybridge and Cobham (previously Old Surbitonians) have been close rivals of Reeds at school level through to club rugby, however this was the first time the two sides have met since the introduction of league rugby with Reeds having previously played in lower leagues.

There was a huge crowd at Whiteley Village last Saturday to witness a full-on Derby clash between these two unbeaten local sides. Ben Stewart the young referee from Wimbledon was in charge of affairs, consistent and decisive, he ensured that both spectators and players had an enjoyable afternoon. Reeds were defending the slope in the first half and it was the visitors who had the best of the territory with their pack giving Reeds some serious problems in the tight. There were some thunderous exchanges close to Reeds line, together with some last-ditch tackles when the possession was fired out wide, given their time in Reeds 22, Cobham should have converted possession into points. Somehow Reeds defence shut down the attacks but inevitably strayed offside, eventually Cobham decided to go for the fairly straightforward penalty shot, but agonisingly for the visitors, the ball drifted wide of the posts. Cobham were soon back on the attack, firing the ball out to their quick back division, maybe their territorial advantage along with the best of the possession allowed a lapse in concentration and a wayward pass was intercepted by winger Matt Stevenson Reeds and he was try-line bound from 60 meters out without a defender in sight. It was a crushing, morale sapping seven-pointer against the visitors. Reeds now began to work their way into the game and see more of the ball from lineouts and scrums, Lewis Jones, the flanker led the charge, hammering into the rucks and was so effective in contact and open play, Michael Wasko, the 8, a fiercely defiant carrier caused no end of problems in the loose mauls. Out in the midfield, Billy Maddock the centre, a blend of pace and power combined with the silky skills of Josh Clark had Reeds spending time deep in Cobham territory, the Cobham defence conceded a penalty, way out, and Jack Jesty, Reeds influential No 10, banged it over from distance, Reeds ten points in front at the change round with the hill in their favour. Fine margins separate these top of the table clashes, and it was Reeds mature performance, staying on side, under pressure in some ferocious situations that earned them a series of penalties that won them the game coupled with Cobham’s propensity at key points to lose the ball or get pinged by the referee meaning that they could simply not exert sustained pressure. It was Jack Jesty, the No 10, who secured six further points from two long range penalties that put Reeds sixteen points ahead before Cobham came back into the game with a break from around the 22 up field that deceived the defence and Louis Porter the big second row forward crashed over for an unconverted try out wide. 16 – 5. With the clock running down, Cobham were in catch up rugby mode and over eager work in the loose rucks cost them penalties, step forward Jack Jesty, with a brilliant display of long-range kicking that delivered six points and meant Cobham would have to respond with two converted tries to level the game. That didn’t look likely with the backlines on both sides cancelling each other out for large periods of the game. In the final moments, another Jack Jesty penalty ensured Reeds victory.

Man of the Match was Matt Stevenson, he has exceptional pace and in a one-on-one situation he is deadly with a devastating side step, his interception try was the defining moment of the game.

Man of the Match Matt Stephenson

Man of the Match Matt Stephenson

Team: Lennon Day, Rhys Day, Harry Ring, Herbie Finn (capt), Cameron Goodwin, Lewis Jones, Michael Wasko, Will Scott, Chuggs Wallis, Ollie Palmer, Jack Jesty, Marcus Clark, Billy Maddock, Josh Clark, Matt Stevenson, Jack Grady, Pete Daverns, Brad Robbins.

Next week – Another tough home game awaits Reeds against unbeaten Beckenham.

GS 07860 394687