Match Report – KCS Old Boys vs Reeds Weybridge RFC U21


Old Boys U21 10pts, Reeds Weybridge U21 26pts

Reeds Weybridge U21s were back in action yesterday against KCS old boys away under floodlights. With a blend of the old guard and the colts both sides competed against each other in the Surrey U21 plate semifinal with the winner going through to the plate final on bank holiday Monday (14:00 ko at Old Reigatians). Reeds came through worthy winners in a fast paced game with a serious talent on display from both sides winning 26-10.

Reeds welcome U18 Colts of Hamish Cassidy (scoring a try on his debut), Will White, Dylan Morgan, Max Minnie and Quinn Munro, Joe Conrathe for their U21 debuts ( who join current U18 Colts of Oli Tack & Harry Ring) and after some last minute adjustments to the line- up Reeds started slowly as players who have not played together or were playing out of normal positions were immediately under pressure from a well drilled KCS side coupled with being penalised for repeated offside found themselves having to defend for the first 15 minutes. It was no surprise that KCS were first to score with a penalty from the 22 yd line. 3-0 to KCS. Gradually Reeds were getting into the game after a break by Mike Woollatt Reeds managed to penetrate KCS territory for the first time Adam Lomax kicked through and then with audacious footwork left KCS standing watching as he touched down under the posts who then converted his own try. 7-3 to Reeds game on.

A huge contest ensued as both forward packs competed for dominance and Reeds back row of Dow Styger, Chuggs Wallis and Joe Wastie slowly began to secure more possession with some huge hits from both sides, Ed Scott and Buffy Brickhill dominated the line out and slowly Reeds were beginning to have a little more possession. The contest took its toll as captain Davin Samuels was sidelined with an ankle injury ably replaced by Dylan Morgan. KCS continued to pose a threat especially from quick ball and some fine defensive work by winger Jemel Edwards saved Reeds from what looked like a certain try. The front row combination of Davin Samuels (replaced by Chuggs), Isaac Koomson and Bengy Lado Byrnes were beginning to win the set piece and on the stroke of half time sustained pressure by Reeds from a rolling maul followed by an offload from Mike Woollatt released Bengy Lado Byrnes to crash over the line from 5 yards out not converted so at half time Reeds were up 12-3.

KCS started the second half brightly and Reeds were under pressure again this time with Adam Lomax defending resolutely which lead to a tweaked Hamstring and ultimately taking no further part in the game. So as Reeds rang the changes it was a jubilant Hamish Cassidy who was first to react to a loose ball and carried over the line with his first touch of the game duly converted. 19-2 to Reeds. Great effort by Douw, Chuggs and Cameron Triffitt continued to pay dividends and a sublime offload by Douw resulted in Jemel Edwards the electric winger going over in the corner only to have been adjudged to of put a foot in touch.

KCS were not going to throw in the towel and scored a consolation try for their endeavours from close range with 10 minutes to play, but it was Ollie Tack who had the final say when he was first to react to a loose ball on KCS 22 yd line and powered over to score under the posts with 2 mins on the clock to seal a well-deserved victory to Reeds 26-10. Great teamwork from everyone especially Tom Fitch, Aleks Shipman and Joe Conrathe in the backs and great to see everyone coming off the pitch having enjoyed an entertaining match of U21 rugby.

Many thanks to KCS for hosting and referee. Special thanks to coaches Rod Jermy and Pete Rowe assisted by Nige Connell along with Mark Vargo and Greg Tack for corralling the U18s.

So it’s Reeds who will compete for the plate final at Old Reigatians a trophy that we have won for the last three seasons, can all players confirm their availability for the plate final on Easter Monday 22 April asap.

Dave Woollatt