MATCH REPORT – Reeds Weybridge RFC vs Old Paulines

Old Paulines, Reeds visitors were founding members of the Rugby Football Union back in 1871, Paulines have had their ups and downs since then and this season has certainly been one of the downs. A glance at the league table, with Reeds riding high at the top and their visitors at the bottom end was sufficient evidence to suspect that Reeds visitors were going to have a very difficult afternoon.

It didn’t look too bad for Paulines in the first quarter as their forwards denied Reeds any possession and that had Reeds defending in their own twentytwo, a score for the visitors seemed highly likely when Paulines were awarded a scrum just five metres from the Reeds try line. However, Reeds generated a huge shove, the Paulines eight went rocking backwards and Reeds cleared their line, it was a significant moment as Paulines had hoped their tight scrum would produce some quality ball, but that didn’t happen.

It was a dry sunny day and Reeds knew that Paulines would struggle to contain the pace and quick fire passes out wide, the first try of the day came when George Corner, Reeds ubiquitous hooker came bursting through the midfield to touch down under the sticks, Pete Davidge the fly half collected the extras and knocked over another ten conversions later on. Reeds were coming up the slope in the first half and by the change round they had five tries in the bag, all of them converted, it was an unassailable lead at that time and with the benefit of the slope in the second half Reeds really piled on the points.

Paulines had their moments with their player coach and flanker Shane Rutherford leading the way, he scored one of the visitors tries and late on winger Nick Jones outpaced the cover to touch down. But during that second half it was one way traffic with the Paulines defence unable to cope with the attacks, Full back Johnny Rogers earned the Man of the Match Award, his inch perfect passing and well timed intrusions into the attacks caused mayhem for the Paulines defence. It was thirteen tries for Reeds at the close with just the two for the visitors.

Next season, Reeds will be playing their rugby in Surrey League One.

George Spinks
07860 394687

More Match Reports and News