Reeds Show True Grit to Overcome League Leaders



It was Patron’s lunch day down at Whiteley Village last Saturday and the donors and their guests were hoping to witness a free-flowing game of rugby against their top of the table rivals, they didn’t get that, but they saw something rather better, a gritty, defensive performance that had the crowd rallying behind their heroes to cheer them on to an unlikely victory.

Reeds were up the hill in the first half and for the first ten minutes or so it was the visitors who had the best of the territory. But Reeds were beginning to gain the upper hand in the tight scrums which enabled them to launch a series of attacks that finished with winger Joe Moriarty in possession ten metres out and a trademark bullocking run that ended with a try by the flag. Just after that score, Reeds had their influential lock forward Dieter Kerschbaumer red carded, the big lock forward is over two metres tall and his tackle on one of the smallest men on the park was judged to be unintentional, but high. Reeds were down to fourteen but still holding their ground in the tight and winning plenty in the lineouts, that brought them territory and Pete Davidge banged over a long-range penalty to extend their lead. However, just before the break, they collected a yellow which had another man in the bin, Reeds were down to thirteen men, Tottonians took the opportunity to throw everything at Reeds, somehow Reeds managed to keep their line secure with some bone crunching tackles and a bit of luck as well, it was a match winning performance led by centre Billy Maddock who earned the Man of the Match award for his leadership in a demanding situation.

Man of the Match –
Leading by Example

Five minutes into the second half and Reeds were back to fourteen and Totts hadn’t managed the breakthrough. Reeds by contrast were still winning plenty of ball, Olly Palmer the scrum half, such a live wire at the base of the scrum was directing play, making the side tick, and fly half Davidge was firing out some huge passes to the midfield. Totts meanwhile persisted with a series of close quarter drives that the Reeds defence had no problem repelling – a strange decision on reflection when more space might have been found out wide.

Mid way through that second half with Totts struggling to make their mark on the game, winger Joe Moriarty was unleashed for his second try of the day – the conversion went astray but moments later fly half Davidge slotted another penalty and Totts knew they had to respond with a couple of scores, but with the clock running down that didn’t look likely. Late on Luke Edwards, the second row forward who was at the heart of the defensive operation when Reeds were under the cosh, barrelled his way over through a number of tackles for a late score under the sticks.

Nigel Connell, Reeds Weybridge Director of Rugby commented afterwards that ‘the team had shown huge resilience and determination when the odds were stacked against them – it was probably the side’s performance of the season having played the top of the table side with 14 men for 60 minutes.’

Next week, Reeds are at home to Twickenham, Kick Off 2:15pm

George Spinks

07860 394687 Nov 27th 2021