Reeds Topple T’s to secure vital Home Win



Although this was a forty plus point win for Reeds, it wasn’t until the latter stages of the game that Reeds firepower out wide overwhelmed the visitors. Injuries and availability had forced several changes to the Reeds side, but one of the strengths of the Reeds squad is the depth of talent they have on the bench, but perhaps those changes led to some unfamiliarity and uncertainties in attack and defence in the early stages. Any thoughts that it was going to be a turkey shoot against the bottom of the league table side were quickly dispelled when the visitors created a smart passing movement that outpaced the cover to touch down by the flag, the conversion went astray but it was clear that Reeds had a battle on their hands.

However, the lineouts and the scrums were providing plenty of possession, and that led to Reeds all court game asking questions of the Twickenham defence. Joe Moriarty out on the wing was a constant threat, he brought Reeds right back into the game with a wrecking ball demolition of two defenders before he was stopped, Josh Clark up in support touched down and banged over the conversion quickly followed by a long-range penalty shot, it was a slender lead and didn’t last for too long. Much of Reeds success has come from attacks born deep in their own territory, thrilling to watch, but it is high risk, you are a hero if it works and a villain if it doesn’t. Reeds decided to attack on the 22, the floated pass destined for the Reeds winger was snapped up by the predatory Twickenham defenders and it was under the sticks for a seven pointer and a two-point lead.

Reeds were having the best of the territory and the penalty count as well, they usually use those awards as the basis for another attack but with Reeds two points down, skipper Billy Maddock called up Josh Clark for another long-range attempt, it went over with room to spare and gave Reeds a one-point lead. Just before the break, Reeds launched another attack from the 22, Moriarty took out the defence and the omnipresent young flanker Joe Wastie was there, to finish the job by the flag, with Josh Clark again collecting the extras.

There was an immediate response from the visitors, they drove play into Reeds 22 and gained possession from a lineout, quick passes stretched the Reeds cover defence and Twickenham collected their third try of the day. One more penalty from Josh Clark before the change round and Reeds had a slender six- point lead – 23-17 – but they had the slope to come. 

Reeds know how to use that slope, they pinned the Twickenham defence down on the fiv- metre line, repeated drives broke through and it was Douw Styger the flanker who finally touched down for the bonus point try, another conversion from Clark and Reeds were on the march thirteen points in front, Clark was successful with another penalty leaving Twickenham needing two scores plus to come back and that didn’t look likely.

Chris Stegmann the pacy winger was brought on during the last quarter and he made an immediate impact, he is seriously quick and powerful as well, two late tries from him provided a score line that didn’t quite reflect the intensity of the game. Twickenham’s line was now under siege and what seemed like two good further scores were denied Reeds by the referee. Josh Clark the fly half had a memorable afternoon with five conversions and four penalties, for a personal haul of twenty-two points. 

Man of the Match was No 8 Luke Edwards, he was up against a fiery Twickenham pack and was at the heart of the Reeds forward effort.

Man of the Match Luke Edwards

Next week Reeds are away to Eastleigh RFC, founded in 1931, the same year as Reeds Weybridge. Kick-off is at 2:00pm

George Spinks

07860 394687